I get asked how to make my non-toxic dishwasher soap all of the time, so to save us all some time (because what mama doesn't need more time?!) I'm giving you the goods!
I have been slowly swapping out hazardous household cleaners since just before I had my first baby. It all started when I watched a friend of mine's baby pretty much licked the floor she was crawling on (they all do it). It made me think about:
- How much cleaner I needed to start keeping my floors (when was the last time you got down on your belly and looked at your floor? Ew.) and
- What was I cleaning my floor with that my new baby would be potentially licking?
It wasn't long before I wondered the same about what I was using on my countertops, kitchen table, bathtub and yes, my dishes! Doing the dishes was the job I ALWAYS had to do growing up and hated (followed closely by dusting). Hand washing everything with hot water and vinegar (which also works awesome) is not a viable option for me on the daily. I started experimenting with making my own version. After several tries, this is the one that I've been super happy about and have stuck with!
The "natural" brand (it wasn't) that I was buying before this was more expensive. It was double per load compared what I pay to make this. This recipe will cost you approximately 0.21 per load which is less than $5 per month in my household!
Non-Toxic Dishwasher Soap (makes 44 loads)
What you need:
(If you are wondering which products I specifically use I have linked them for you–simply hover over each ingredient and click)
What you do:
- In a glass bowl (I use a pyrex measuring cup with a spout for easy pouring), combine all dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Transfer to a mason jar and add essential oil.
- Place lid on jar and shake well to disperse oil.
- Use 1 Tablespoon per dishwasher load
Your water can affect the recipe. You may need to play around with it to find your best fit. I have semi hard water and get reddish stains in my dishwasher depending on the soap I'm using (and how
often not often I clean it). This combination leaves my dishes sparkly, my dishwasher much cleaner, AND its affordable. Triple win!
I'd love to hear your results!